Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Weekly Appointment 02/12/07

Monday didn't go quite as we had planned. Our dr was unexpectedly out of the office and won't be back until Friday. We still had an amnio/bladder tap, which included monitoring afterward. I opted to forego the local anesthetic, which I thought as the worst part last time. It would have been much better without it, except this dr had to try three times to get the needle in right place and there was a bit of digging around each time. I still think I'll skip it next time and hope it's more straightforward like the first time. They did some more measurements on the baby. The tumor has grown - to the point that no matter the outcome, she'll have to be delivered by a cesarean section with a vertical incision.

What didn't happen was the follow up draw Tuesday to test for proteins in her urine. We go back on Friday for another tap and an appointment with our usual dr. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave a second day to do the follow up. The plan for now is to go next Thursday and Friday for the serial draws. I guess I'm a little frustrated at that because it's something I'd rather know sooner than later. Any subsequent draws will be unnecessary if there's no kidney function. Part of their reasoning is that there's a small amount of hope that if they drain her bladder enough times that whatever is blocking it will resolve and it will go back to normal size. They don't really expect that, but it has been known to happen.

It was just another week of spending a lot of time in that office, but not much happening (or them not telling us much). The results from the karyotyping from last week's draw weren't back. Nor were the results from my glucose tolerance test. We've still never been given the results from the mri, which I guess means it doesn't really say anything. All in all, it wasn't an encouraging week, but we also didn't hear anything that made me cry.