Monday, January 29, 2007

Weekly appointment 1/29/07

Be careful what you wish for. Last week I wished I had an update; today I wish I didn't. The appointment wasn't so great. It wasn't awful, but I think I prefer walking out of that office without knowing anything new. The tumor seems to have grown or shifted and is blocking her bladder/urethra. That is causing fluid to back up and her kidneys are enlarged as well. It isn't something that requires immediate attention or intervetion at this point, but it's just one more thing on our lists of concerns. Initialy they thought they saw aslo swelling in the skin around her abdomen (any swelling at all is a very bad sign), but later concluded that the intial picture wasn't a very good one and everything was okay there.

I'm not sure how big of a deal this is. I could tell when the ultrasound tech was doing the intial measurements that the baby's bladder was enlarged. Then the perinatologist and her assistant came in like usual, but this week they brought a second Dr along to look. They explained everything that they were seeing, at which time I started crying a bit- because well, it doesn't take much to make me cry these days. Then they downplayed it and told us it wasn't anything to worry about at this point. They talked a little more about what it meant and referred us to the hospital's perinatal grief counselor, who deals with parents who have recieved bad news, and off they went. Okay, so everything is alright and I'm just overreacting a bit.

Then later this afternoon our care coordinator, who is making sure our out of network expenses are covered or at least count toward our huge deductible, called to give me some authorization numbers. She started the conversation by saying that she had talked with our dr and heard about the ultrasound today and told me how sorry she was. She made it sound like a big deal. Anyway, I'm not sure we're getting the whole story. Or maybe she was just being overly empathetic.

We meet with the fetal cardiologist tomorrow.