Tuesday, September 26, 2006

just a pregnant whine

Char was over last week and asked if I thought this baby was a boy or girl. I told her I used to think girl, back when I could acutally thing about how I felt. Now, all I get is "blaahuurrrgh" if I try to think about how I feel. She said it was a girl, because "that's how girls make you feel."

I wanted to keep a positive outlook, but it's getting harder. Not only am I tired of feeling awful, I'm tired of people asking me how I feel. I'm realizing now how much easier it was to just not tell family until 11-12 weeks with Howie. At least then, there was only a couple weeks before I really started feeling better that I had to deal with "how are you feeling?" in lieu of an actual greeting.

Today is actually marginally better. I still feel tired and pukey, but the ever-present headache of the last two weeks is gone. It reached a climax sunday night with pounding in my temples and sensitivity to light. I went to bed at 9:30 after a three and a half hour nap that afternoon. It didn't help. Monday morning I broke down and gave myself about 10 squirts of infant tylenol before heading to breakfast with my dad. It took the edge off, but the headache was still there. All we have in our house is advil. or motrin, or any other form of ibuprofen, both prescription and store brand. I finally got ahold of some Tylenol yesterday afternoon and followed it with a nap chaser. ah, sweet relief. Today I can even stand to look at the computer monitor.

Somehow I've been able to make it through each of my work shifts without getting sick. I do have a big mixing bowl sitting on top of the monitor, because there have been some pretty intense moments of feeling lousy, but I haven't had to use it yet. I also seem to feel better if I have something planned- a playdate, a girl's night, a family dinner... I don't know if it's being able to divert my attention or mind over matter or what, but the prospect of sitting and talking and laughing with those I care about seems to perk me up.

Actually, there have been very few incidents of actually puking, and many, many days of intese lousiness. It was the same with Howie. I remember about 14 weeks it changed to feeling good most of the time with random and unexpected bouts of puking about once a day. I prefered that. I hope we see that change soon. I'm sure Matt and Howie are looking forward to a functional mom again, too.